Dr Katie Sutton
ARC Postdoctoral FellowGerman Studies
Location: Room 708 Babel (Building 139)
Phone: +61 3 9035 4577
PhD (German Studies, Melbourne), BA (Hons, Melbourne).
Research interests/areas of supervision
Weimar Republic; History of Sexuality (Psychoanalysis, Sexology); Gender and Queer Studies; 20th-century German Cultural Studies
Katie commenced an ARC Postdoctoral Fellowship in August 2010 in the School of Languages and Linguistics as part of the Discovery Project research team "Making the Case: The Case Study Genre in Sexology, Psychoanalysis and Literature" (CIs Dr Birgit Lang and Prof Joy Damousi). Previously she held a DAAD postdoctoral fellowship to the University of Potsdam, Germany (2009-2010). She teaches in the German and European Studies programs.
- Sutton, Katie. The Masculine Woman in Weimar Germany. New York and Oxford: Berghahn Books, 2011. (Reviewed in German Quarterly, German Studies Review, German History, Choice)
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Sutton, Katie. "'We Too Deserve a Place in the Sun': The Politics of Transvestite Identity in Weimar Germany," in German Studies Review, Vol. 35, No. 2, 2012, pp. 335–54
- Sutton, Katie. "The Masculinized Female Athlete in Weimar Germany," in German Politics and Society, Vol. 27, No. 3, 2009, pp. 28-49
- Sutton, Katie. "From Dandies to Naturburschen: The Gendering of Men's Fashions in Weimar Germany," in Edinburgh German Yearbook, Vol. 2, 2008, pp. 130-48
- Sutton, Katie. "Female Masculinity in Weimar Cinema," in Traffic, No. 4, 2004, pp. 27-48
- Sutton, Katie. "The Nazi and Communist Press and the Late-Weimar Abortion Debate," in Lilith: A Feminist History Journal, Vol. 12, 2003, pp. 123-38
- Norman, Beret and Sutton, Katie. “Memory is always a story”: An Interview with Antje Rávic Strubel," in Women in German Yearbook, Vol. 28
- Sutton, Katie. "Bridging the Rural/Urban Divide: Representations of Queer Female Experience in 1920s Germany," in Feiereisen, Florence and Frackman, Kyle (eds.,). From Weimar to Christiania: German and Scandinavian Studies in Context. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2007, pp. 37-53
- Sutton, Katie. "Female Masculinities and Conflicting Lesbian Identities in Anna Elisabet Weirauch's Der Skorpion," in Haschemi Yekani, Elahe and Michaelis, Beatrice (eds.,). Quer durch die Geisteswissenschaften: Perspektiven der Queer Theory. Berlin: Querverlag, 2005, pp. 267-81
Edited books and collections
- Sutton, Katie (ed. and intro. with Guido Ernst and Andrew Hurley). Contexts, Contacts, Constraints. Melbourne University School of Languages Postgraduate Research Papers on Language and Literature. Melbourne: University of Melbourne School of Languages, 271pp.
- Sutton, Katie. "Erik N. Jensen, Body by Weimar. Athletes, Gender, and German Modernity (2010)," in German Quarterly, Vol. 85, No. 1, 2012, p. 106
- Sutton, Katie. "Julia Roos, Weimar Through the Lens of Gender: Prostitution Reform, Woman's Emancipation, and German Democracy, 1919-33 (2010)," in H-Histsex (online publication).
- Sutton, Katie. "Judith Halberstam, In a Queer Time and Place: Transgender Bodies, Subcultural Lives (2005)," in Lewis, A., Deiters, F.-J., Fliethmann, A., Lang, B., and Weller, C. (eds.,). Limbus 1: Erinnerungskrisen/Memory Crises. Freiburg: Rombach, 2008, pp. 260-62
- Sutton, Katie. "Norah Vincent, Self-Made Man: My Year Disguised as a Man," in Lilith: A Feminist History Journal, Vol. 15, 2006, pp. 126-28
Awards and grants
- Women in German Dissertation Prize (USA). Awarded annually to the dissertation that best reflects the values of the WiG Mission Statement, makes a substantial contribution to current dialogue in the research area; and demonstrates solid and innovative scholarship
- Stiftung für Deutsch/Amerikanische Wissenschaftsbeziehungen (SDAW) / German Studies Association (GSA) Award for Best Paper by a Social Scientist within Five Years of the Doctorate. Paper: "The Masculinized Female Athlete in Weimar Germany"
- DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) Postdoctoral Research Grant, University of Potsdam, Germany
Recent conference presentations
- “War, Violence, and Sexual Pathologies: Sexological and Psychoanalytic Responses to World War I.” Violence Studies conference, University of Newcastle, Australia (August).
- "The Case of the Invert: Cultural Translations of the Sexological Encounter in Weimar Germany.” Sexology in Translation Symposium, Birkbeck College, University of London (June).
- "The Case of the Eonist: Contestations over Transvestite Life Histories in Sexology, Psychoanalysis and Autobiographical Fiction." German Studies Association of Australia Biannual Conference, University of Queensland (November).
- "The Case/s of Transvestite Autobiography: Sexual Identities and Publics in 1920s Germany." Cases and their Publics conference, in conjunction with DP "Making the Case," University of Melbourne (September).
- "Transnational Belonging in the City's Queer Spaces: Kutlug Ataman's Lola + Bilidikid." Imagining the New Berlin conference, in conjunction with Goethe Institut "Berlin Dayz" festival, University of Melbourne (November).
- "'We Too Deserve a Place in the Sun': The Emergence of a Transvestite Public Culture in 1920s Germany." Melbourne/Monash Seminar Series, University of Melbourne (August).
- German Studies Association of Australia
- German Studies Association (USA)
- Women in German